Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Portfolio Assignment: What’s out there that interests me and why?

Throughout the week I had four different people visit our class to discuss the different types of media they specialize in. The four media types we heard about were broadcasting, web design, photojournalism, and radio.


As a broadcaster, it’s your job to report the news using video footage and conducting interviews and then playing it on television for viewers to watch. A web designer’s job is to create and run websites for clients and their companies. A photojournalist is almost like a broadcaster in the sense of trying to capture news and report it to viewers. The difference is a photojournalist takes pictures and writes articles and then has them published. In radio, it’s your job to play music, talk and report to all the listeners.


I learned that in this business it’s really important to have contacts and to know the right people. You really need to put yourself out there to do a great job. What I found most in common with all four speakers was that even though the pay isn’t great, they are all having the time of their lives and their job always keeps them busy because they are doing new things and meeting new people everyday.


As a career choice, I see myself most interested in photojournalism. I like photography and enjoy taking pictures. I’m not so interested in working for a newspaper like the Intelligencer. I would be more interested having a job with a large well-known magazine working more with the photos and less with the writing.


Some of my strengths in media would be my creativity and strong focus. If I’m working on a project that I find interesting, I work a lot harder and do anything I can to make it a success. I think my biggest strength is my eye for detail. I can really look at something and tell if is good or not. I can look and tell if a picture is taken well and which would be best suited for whatever reason it’s needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment